St John’s

St John’s Church - Then & Now

St John's History

St John’s was designed by the leading Victorian Architect Sir George Gilbert Scott and the whole building paid for by William Sheepshanks. Some of the stained glass windows commemorate William’s family but he does not have any memorial to his generosity except the church itself. It was built so that the older people of Bilton would not have to walk to Christ Church to worship God.  William and his son Thomas, who was the first vicar, also gave the land for the church building and money to support the minister.

The church was consecrated on 12th November 1857 by the Bishop of Ripon. 

St John's Today

Today St John’s welcomes people of all ages and backgrounds and we seek to be a Family Church in the fullest sense, aiming to put Christ at the heart of our community. 

Our mission is to be a Worshipping Community, Passionate in Loving Jesus Christ, Committed to Loving Others.